I’ve created this simple (yet, fun, amusing and light-hearted) test to determine if your business card is indeed tacky and may be in need of an update.
Top 10 Ways You Know Your Business Card is Tacky… (drumroll, please)…
10. You hand someone your business card at a mixer and when they accidentally spill wine on it or use it as a coaster, the ink smears. Oh no!
9. When you hold the business card by the edge or corner, it bends like a wet noodle.
8. Your headshot photo makes your business card look like a “calling card” (if you know what I mean). Ladies: A snapshot from a recent trip to the bar or in a strapless dress with a cocktail in your hand is not appropriate for business. You’d think this would be obvious, but it’s not. I could tell you some stories!
7. Your headshot photo looks like a mug shot from the last time you “did time.”
6. Your headshot photo is your high school graduation photo, a glamour shot or a snapshot from the last party you were at, and your bra straps are showing because your tank top is half off your shoulder.
5. Your business card is see-through because it’s printed on copy paper and cut crooked. It actually looks like a scrap of paper because it’s wrinkled when you pull it out of your pocket.
4. Clip art??? Need I say more?
3. You say, “I’m sorry” when you hand your business card out. Could be a sign!
2. You openly admit you ordered FREE business cards from Vista Print because your business card actually has their contact information printed on it, too.
1. You designed it yourself, and you have an “eye” for design, equivalent to those horrible singers on American Idol who are convinced they can sing because their mothers told them they sounded good. Remember William Hung? You know who you are!
If your answers indicate it’s time to update your card, I hope you were at least able to laugh at yourself while making this discovery. There isn’t anything on the above list I have not seen—including the crumpled paper, and it was at a business conference.